What is air pollution?
It means that pollutants are released to the air that are harmful to the planet and human health.
Check out the World’s Real-Time Air Pollution Index to see the Air Quality in your area: https://waqi.info/
See the real-time air pollution for the globe here!
Where does it come from?
Number 1 air polluters are the greenhouse gases such as carbone dioxide (CO2).
The source of pollution can be natural (e.g. volcano erruption) and human made.
Since the industrialization, the air pollution through the humans increased drastically.
Shocking but true is the increase of CO2 to more than 35 billion tons total, whereof 30 billion tons are just coming from the last 50 years. Check out the CO2 history in total an per country here.
Main carbon dioxide emissions come from:
- Burning of fossil fuels, it releases fine particles (e.g. coal and petroleum used in energy production)
- Industries and productions which release CO2
- Cars, trucks and land traffic
- Cuise ships, boats and vessels
- Ground-ozone (reaction of smog and oxygen)
- Household products and chemicals
- Building materials (asbestos, formaldehyde,..)