What does it mean, if we consider a species as endangered? It means that they are close to be extinct. In general, a species is consideres endangered if at least one of the following criteria apply:
- 50-70% decrease of population within the last 10 years
- Less than 5000km2 total georgaphical area or less than 500 km2 local population area
- Less than 2500 adults in population
- 250 adults as restricted population
- Statistical forecast to be extinct within the coming 20 years.
Check out the most current list of endangered species on the WWF hompage here.
According to the WWF, as of now, critically endangered are 16 species of animals, 27 species are endangered, 18 are already vulnerable and 20+ are close to be threatend soon.
Find out how you can help the animals, and continue here!